segunda-feira, setembro 11, 2006

Shlesinger wins Euro judo silver


Sep. 11, 2006 7:47 Updated Sep. 11, 2006 15:28
Shlesinger wins Euro judo silver
By ALLON SINAI
Alice Shlesinger won a silver medal at the European Judo Junior Championships in Estonia on Saturday after losing in the final of the under-63 kilogram category to Russian Martha Levzina.
Shlesinger defeated opponents from Belgium, Italy, France and Spain to reach the final, but was no match for the Russian and had to settle for second place.
"I'm pleased with the medal, but not with my form which I feel was only average," the 18-year-old Israeli said after winning the silver medal. "I still don't know what went wrong but I plan to check it with my coach and fix the problems. I want to improve in time for the world championships next month, which is my target competition this year."
The World Junior Judo Championships are scheduled for October 12-15 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and Shlesinger is hoping for the gold.
It was the third time the Israeli has competed at the junior European championships and the second straight time she has taken a medal after winning the bronze medal last year.
"It is difficult to finish in second place," said Pavel Mosin, who coaches the national women's team, about Shlesinger. "I felt that we missed out. However, Alice has shown stability and won a medal in the European championships for a second straight time. Alice had a very difficult day of fighting and she defeated the toughest opponents on the way to the medal."

allon@jpost.com
Fonte: Jerusalem Post - Israel - http://www.jpost.com/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário