terça-feira, abril 15, 2008

TRENTON TRANSIT - Grace Cavalieri


TRENTON TRANSIT
If you go back in time, be careful,
you may stay there.

Leaving State and Broad, the bus turns left. How many times have I
been there without the fare. But this time I'm with my father.

We move down Willow to Prospect. I tell him about the box of beads, my
necklaces. The purple ones I lift to show how if you love your work,
they'll sparkle. His face separates red with pain, explaining that he's sorry
he favors my sister, but he always will. He can't help it. The edge of my mind
is honed to take this, over the years, thin as steel, bends to shape, accommodate.

The bus is now on Prospect. I love this part. Porches narrow and sweet with light.
Painted like Autumn sun on wood. In two more stops we'll be there.
Past Mr. Sprague's Hardware Store, I turn a page in my book--a long story of a Japanese
girl who's been my friend throughout, her sly shyness teaching me silence.

How strange to change a living adventure by closing this book.
Gregory School on the left, now gone. Ellsworth Avenue coming up. It's wonderful
to be with someone I've known as long as my father. Yet I never can guess

which of us will get off first.

In the film about the bus, the man who's whistling is not really making music.
Behind the screen someone else makes the sound, and then it's fit together

perfectly. Not like us.

Movement inside motion on the bus is louder now. Driver will call out a street, but it's
hardly the one we'd have chosen. How to know which is ours? If given a fair chance,
back then, even if we recognized the destination, we wouldn't have

known what to name it.

Grace Cavalieri is the author of ten books of poetry and numerous produced plays. Two recent books are: Sit Down Says Love from The Argonne Hotel Press, Word Wrights Magazine, 1620 Argonne Place NW, Washington, D.C.20009. http://www.wordwrights.com/. Heart on a Leash, Red Dragon Press, P.O. Box 1945, Alexandria, Virginia 22320-0425.Grace Cavalierie has written texts and lyrics performed for opera, stage and film. Grace Teaches poetry workshops throughout the country and is on the poetry faculty of St. Mary's College of Southern Maryland. She produced and hosted "The Poet and the Poem", weekly, on public radio (1977-1997) presenting 2,000 poets to the nation. She now produces this series once a year from the Library of Congress via NPR satellite. Grace has received the Pen-Fiction Award, The Allen Ginsberg Poetry Award, The Corporation for Public Broadcasting Silver Medal, and awards from the National Commission on Working Women, The WV Commission on Women, The American Association of University Women, plus others. She received the inaugural Columbia Merit Award for "significant contribution to poetry". Grace also received the inaugural playwriting award from West Virginia Commission on the Arts. She writes full-time in West Virginia where she lives with her husband, sculptor Kenneth Flynn. They have four grown daughters.

FONTE: http://users.tellurian.com/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário