quarta-feira, abril 30, 2008

Ex-judo champion Inoue to retire after spectacular defeat


Ex-judo champion Inoue to retire after spectacular defeat
2 hours ago

TOKYO (AFP) — Japan's former Olympic and world judo champion Kosei Inoue said Wednesday he was retiring after failing to qualify for the Beijing Games due to his spectacular defeat at the national championship.
"I have already made up my mind that this will be the last year of my judo career," the 29-year-old superstar said a day after losing to Yohei Takai by an "ippon" knockout in the quarter-finals at the open-class event.
"But I really have no regrets that I have staked everything on judo for 25 years," Inoue said in an interview with the Fuji Television network.
Inoue won the Sydney Olympic under-100kg gold as well as three world titles.
He was aiming for a spot in Beijing to cap his comeback from his loss in the under-100kg quarter-finals at the Athens Olympics. He has stepped up to the over-100kg heavyweight and overcome a major chest injury.
Inoue said he planned to study abroad, possibly in Britain, but that he wanted to stay involved in the sport. "I hope to spend my entire life with judo as a person who loves judo above all," he said.
The national title was won by 21-year-old Satoshi Ishii when he beat Athens over-100kg champion Keiji Suzuki in the final. Ishii, untested in the Olympics or world championships, was named later Wednesday to represent the country in the over-100kg in Beijing in August.
Inoue, who has won the hearts of judo fans for his passion to win by ippon, was floored by a counter-attack when he attempted his favourite "uchi-mata" leg throw on Takai with 10 seconds left in the six-minute match.
Takai immediately immobilised Inoue to win by a full point.
"I wanted to keep on going to the last moment for an ippon. I was obsessed with uchi-mata and then I was countered," Inoue said. "I felt blank for a moment. I usually feel regrets when I lose. But this time I just felt it was over."
Inoue's comeback from the Athens disaster has been fraught with heartbreaks.
He was sidelined for six months after muscles in his right chest were torn when he won the prestigious Kano Cup at home in January 2005.
He won the Paris tournament on his return in early 2007 but finished only fifth at the world championships in Rio De Janeiro last September.
Inoue also finished fifth at the Paris tournament this February but won the over-100kg title earlier this month at the weight-by-weight national championships to keep his Olympic bid alive.
The national federation has chosen the Olympic squad on the basis of results from the two national championships and international events.

FONTE: AFP - (photo include)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário