quinta-feira, maio 15, 2008

Sussex judo ace set for Beijing

Sussex judo ace set for Beijing
By Mike Donovan
Ben Quilter believes he can win a medal in the Beijing Paralympics just four years after threatening to quit.
Quilter, 26, from Brighton, has been selected in the judo under-60kg category.
He was controversially left out of the squad for the 2004 Athens Games and was ready to pack it in.
Quilter, who is visually-impaired, said: "I was very upset four years ago. I was told that the winner of the British Open would be selected. I won the under-66kg category but the selectors went with a more experienced player (Darren Kail).
"It was heartbreaking for me. I felt let down. It was so unfair because the goalposts were moved. It was all political.
"It was crossroads time for me. I threw a paddy and wanted to jack it in.
"My coach helped me change my mind. He told me I didn't put selection beyond doubt in Athens because I hadn't worked hard enough to overcome my lack of under-166kg experience in their eyes. It was true. I just expected to get better without putting in the hard graft.
"Now I'm 30 to 40 per cent a better player. I am more competitive and better technically, tactically and physically. I am good enough to win a medal."
He qualified with outstanding performances at the 2006 World Championships (fifth) and last year's European Championships and World Cup (silver and fifth).
5:58pm Tuesday 13th May 2008
FONTE: The Argus.co.uk - Brighton,UK

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário