segunda-feira, abril 14, 2008

Strong thrust to hit Beijing

Strong thrust to hit Beijing
By Kylie Stevens

IT'S second-time lucky for judo star Janelle Shepherd, of St Clair, who is off to her first Olympic Games in Beijing, four years after narrowly missing out on the team for Athens.
Shepherd, 22, was one of six women selected for the Australian judo team for Beijing, where she will compete in the over-78 kilogram division.
Her selection comes after impressive performances at a World Cup tournament in November in Perth and at the Oceania titles in New Zealand three weeks ago.
"I'm very proud to get the chance to represent my sport and country," she said.
"It's a big reward for 16 years of training."
Shepherd first took up judo as a youngster at St Clair Recreation Centre.
She later joined St Marys RSL and now trains four times a week at the University of NSW.
She trialled for the Olympics in 2004 and finished third.
She represented Australia at the Youth Olympics the following year.
"I wasn't too disappointed, as Beijing was my ultimate goal," she said.
"I knew that the experience would be better for me."
But things almost didn't go to plan after Shepherd spent most of last year recuperating from a knee reconstruction.
"I always thought positive and that if I did the rehab, I'd come back in time."
Shepherd has high hopes for Beijing after she finished fifth at an international Korean Open meet last October.
"My aim is to fight well and, hopefully, bring home a medal."
She has plenty of competition practice in the lead-up to the Olympics in August with a national tournament in June and a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport, followed by meets in Germany and Japan in July.
FONTE (photo include): St Marys Star - Sydney,NSW,Australia

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário